Saturday 7 January 2012

All the pretty books

The Swiss Cows wondered if they needed to change colour to get into the Night Circus

Yesterday I dashed into Waterstones, giving Dr X the impression that I was looking for a birthday present for my nephew. This will only take a few minutes I fibbed. I'll take a seat then he replied. After browsing through all the books and looking at the sale items I found that the Night Circus (half-price offer!!) was stuck to my clammy hand. It's such a stylish looking book! So although knowing practically nothing about the story line and without having read any reviews, I decided to buy it. Yes, that's right, I bought a book based on looks alone. 


I also have a Waterstones loyalty card and need to collect a certain number of stamps before the end of April to win a £10 book voucher (you have to spend money to save money right).  To top up my purchase to £10 I perused the children's section. Dr X caught up with me to check on my purchases - do you think your nephew will like that book? Um, probably not I muttered. Well I expect the stickers are for him then? Sure thing I said, shaking my head 'no' at the same time. Ok - who has some good ideas for a present for a nine year old?


When I got home I did some online searching about the Night Circus - and found this really helpful book review site -  Good Reads 
The bad news is that the book has received mixed reviews, with more on the negative side than I was hoping for.  Still I'm going to keep an open mind and I'm sure there are lots of people I can lend the book to as well which still makes it a worth while purchase.


Good to see that my NY goal of saving money is in full force.


Happy Week-End y'all xxx

No comments: