Tuesday 10 January 2012

Just a puppet on a lonely string...

Bear would know the right motivational things to say in these situations!

So Dr X has abandoned me again to pursue the champagne lifestyle  his higher education studies. Once a month he leaves me all alone for a whole week (*gasp*) and I have to fend for myself. Ok, so he makes sure the fridge and freezer are packed with all the essentials, leaves me a detailed list of where he'll be and checks that I have enough petty cash in case of emergencies (such as running out of choccie biscuits), but I still think it's pretty irresponsible of him.  'Don't go - I'll miss you', is a regular whiney phrase I trot out every 10 minutes in the days leading up to departure time. Sometimes I hide his stuff when he's trying to pack.


The good points of being alone are that I get to watch whatever I want on i-player without having to bargain for programmes. I can also steal his pillows and eat my food whilst reading at the same time. No need for table manners when you eat alone! I can also expect some pretty nice presents when he comes back (I'm easily pleased).


The bad points (which far outweigh the good) are that he's not here to keep me company or to check for bogey men in the various places they hide such as under the bed, in the wardrobe or in the storage cupboard which has a strange smell. Hmm, I'm wondering now why it has a strange smell...


To make matters worse, my colleague who I share an office with is also away this week. So I'm alone at work and alone at home. I try to get the chaps who bring the post to the office to stop and chat, but they're busy with parcels to deliver (and have an inbuilt radar which warns them to stay away from crazy ladies). I've started smiling at strangers on the bus. Today I realised that I was talking to myself and not just when I was on my own. I got some strange looks when I was out in public. Dr X has only been away for 2 days but it feels like forever. I think I need Bear Grylls to help me make it through the rest of the week. I obviously need to learn some survival tactics.


I'll be throwing a pity party soon if anyone's interested in coming? Please bring your own drinks and snacks as my resources are running low.

4 comments:

Minted Magazine said...

HAH. Funny.


Minted Magazine


mintedmag.com

Anonymous said...

would noodles and Robert Downey Jr help any? Ms G xx

Anonymous said...

Wow you must be quite a catch. Dr X is a lucky man.

Starryeyed said...

Yes please Ms G! And Dr X is a lucky man, thank you anonymous...