Thursday 19 January 2012

Birds

Image via Vlado's portfolio


Last January I had a Tippi Hedron moment. I was trying to concentrate on my reading but I kept getting distracted by the activities outside my window. In fact on a tree outside my window. It has been invaded by a strange flock of birds with funny little feathered headdresses. They were dark with splashes of colour and I simply couldn't make out what they were. Then I remembered that I had a Waitrose week-end newspaper with the front cover dedicated to bird watching. It was for the the RSPB's national birdwatching week-end and we were called, as a nation, to sit and stare out the window for an hour and write down each species we see. I started checking through the colored illustrations to see if I could identify the visitors. They were certainly none of the following:
Wood pigeon
Jackdaw
Coal tit
Long-tailed tit
Song thrush ( there's a noisy one of these at my workplace)
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Blue tit
Magpie
House sparrow
Robin
Wren
Chaffinch

I started to get excited. Perhaps I'd discovered a new exotic species visiting our cold shores. They could be named after me. I should take their photo as proof for the bird experts. I look up from typing my news and they'd gone. Flown off just like that. Hopefully they found somewhere warm to sleep before nightfall as it was a very cold day (-2) and these little chaps didn't look very hardy. My dreams of being famous sadly flew off with them. Sigh...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What size were they? how large was the flock?

Jen

Starryeyed said...

Hmm, about the height of a squirrel and there were at least 15 of them I reckon. They were eatiing the berries in the tree. Are you a bird expert??

Caitlin @ Hardly Housewives said...

Interesting! They sound very cool!

Starryeyed said...

Thanks Caitlin - they were cool! Just had a peek at your blog, looks lovely. Greetings from old England to New England!